Monday, April 28, 2014

Inspiration Station: Geometry Class - It's all about triangles!

It's Monday! You know what that means - it's time to get inspired with another instalment of Let's Capture Our Memories' Inspiration Station. Put your hands together and make a joyful noise: WOO! :) Today, it's all about taking it back to one of the most basic of geometric shapes we all first ever learned before we hit grade school - the triangle.

Equilateral. Isosceles. Scalene. Remember those words? Hee!Hee! But enough about that! Geometric shapes have made a huge comeback in the scrapbooking world. I remember, way back when, when scrapbooking was nothing more than sticking a few basic shapes next to a photo on a white background. Oh! How scrapbooking has evolved since those days! And as of late, the triangle especially seems to be making a splash. Everywhere scrappy you look - galleries, magazines, blogs, manufacturer sites - triangles are IN! With this in mind, I thought I would take a stab at it...






So, SO thrilled to use some of my brand new Basic Grey Fresh Cut collection on this one (patterned paper, alphabet stickers, and die-cuts and transparencies)! Also used some Jillibean Soup beanboard alphas (yes, those were Cuttlebugged!) along with some Tattered Angels Glimmer Glaze, Maya Road wood veneer polaroid frames and metal camera, a Stampin' Up punch, with, finally, a dash of stitching using my very so handy Bazzill Basics stitching template and DMC floss. And of course, once again, the photo was taken by a friend of mine, the very talented Philippe Dumas. Oh! And I have to tell you a story with that background paper - I initially wanted to use a piece of white cardstock, but can you imagine, I have no more 12X12 white cardstock in my stash?! I thought to myself, don't panic - there must be something in my stash that I can use instead of cardstock. So, as a friend of mine would say, off I went "shopping" in my stash and lo and behold, I found this piece in an old Basic Grey collection I've had for years - Hopscotch to be exact! YAY!

So, want a bit more proof that triangles are a staple right now in scrapbooking? I thought you'd never ask... ;)

Let's start with sketches. Creative Scrappers has been inspiring scrapbookers worldwide for just over six years now with its absolutely fantastic sketch site. Just this past weeked, CS celebrated its sixth birthday with a fabulous blog hop with some serious sketch fever. And yes, triangles were definitely ready to party! Look at these awesome sketches by Jenny Evans:


And a few weeks back, I absolutely fell in love with this CS sketch and Stephanie Hart's take on it:


You see? Even scrappy manufacturers are including triangles on their patterned paper!! And that's not all! Look at this amazing layout by Michelle Arsenault Gallant for Creative Embellishments using its multi-sized triangle chipboard pieces:


But honestly, the first layout that made me go gaga over triangles is this one by Stephanie Bryan:


Isn't that the sweetest thing you've ever seen? Even her photos are cut in triangles!! And for you pocket scrapbookers out there, here's an awesome page by Elise Blaha Cripe for Studio Calico (to watch the three-part video on how to make this page, click here and here and here):


So there you have it! Geometry class à la scrappy mode! Hope you enjoyed it! Would love to see how you use triangles - please feel free to link your creation(s) using triangles to the comments sections below or on our Facebook page here. And please, join us again on Thursday when Jocelyne will be host another round of Product Shuffle.

Ah! I remembered! It's time to reveal a few secrets regarding LCOM's new blog format. Well. I can't divulge everything just yet, BUT... I can say that I will be hosting the Inspiration Station segments for the next term while Jocelyne will be shuffling our scrappy stash with the Product Shuffle feature. It's going to be a fun, fun, fun!

Happy scrapping!

4 comments: